SERIOUS BEER L2課綱
- First hand view of a brewery’s inner workings to see the actual equipment involved.
- Review of topics covered in Serious Beer L1, stressing beer styles and key measures for brewing processes.
- Overview of western cuisine, stressing classic pairings from the USA and Europe
- The blind tasting process to be used in future lessons; establish the current skill level of the group; Baseline for understanding beers in the lager category
- Advanced Brewing ingredients
- Advanced Brewing process
- Organisms involved in fermentation
- Defining beers, stress several styles not covered in level 1
- Establish a baseline for beers in the stout/porter category
- Beer styles and ingredients -- they create their own beer recipes
- Pairing food with beer -- building on materials covered in level 1
- Students create a restaurant menu from a provided list of dishes and beers, explaining their choices.
- Mixing and matching beer and food -- Students experiment with several food items and beers
- Establish a baseline for beers in the Darker Belgian/Scottish/Strongs category
- Establish a baseline for beers in the Light/Strong category
- Establish a baseline for beers in the Recently Developed Styles category
- Establish a baseline for beers in the IPA category
- Establish a baseline for beers in the Definitive Examples category
- Intense mixes of common off-flavours
- Intense mixes of less common off-flavours
- Establish a baseline for more beers in the Definitive Examples category
- Exam-strength tasting for common off-flavours
- Exam-strength tasting for less common off-flavours
- Establish a baseline for beers in the lager category
- students will be provided several food items and beers and guided through mixing and matching with the results discussed
- Students research and present on one southern hemisphere brewery and one northern hemisphere brewery from outside North America, the UK, Belgium/France and Germany/Austria/Czech Republic.
- Key points from previous lessons, exercises and practicals are reviewed.
SERIOUS BEER Education : SERIOUS BEER Certification L2
The L2 exam is a mock exam with the same structure as Certified Cicerone® exam.
No multiple choice; all written answers：
- Keeping and Serving Beer -- 24 questions
- Beer Glassware -- 9 questions -- match the glass to the beer style
- Beer Styles -- 49 questions
- Beer Flavor & Evaluation -- 16 questions
- Ingredients -- 42 questions
- Beer & Food Pairing -- 10 questions + one paragraph
- Short Essays -- 3
Cicerone® Certification Program
Link to Certified Cicerone® Sample exam https://www.cicerone.org/sites/default/files/resources/Sample_Certified_Cicerone_Exam.pdf